Sunday, January 10, 2010

Getting off the couch

It's been several weeks (nearing months) since I've gone for a serious run. I think I went for one quickie after the 5k Thanksgiving weekend, but that was primarily because I had purchased new running shoes and felt the need to use them before going on vacation. So, this is start number 25,429 of being active again. I somehow manage to end up at square one if I don't exercise for more than about a week, so I'm not looking forward to yet another go 'round.

However...I have been itching to go out for a run for the last week, but illness has interfered. Watching other folks hit the pavement has made me wiggle a little in my car seat, and tomorrow will be the beginning of my first full season as a triathlete and my attempts at some longer distances as well. Part of my difficulty staying on the wagon in the past has been accountability to myself or anyone else. I avoid signing up for races until the last moment, so I can have the option to duck out...I have always given myself that option up to this point. My goal for this season is to decide early (once I know what my class situation is going to be) what races I'm going to do, and sign up for them as soon as I can. I'm also going to write out workout plans for myself that are realistic and get me where I need to be, hoping to incorporate others when possible.

Food will also be part of this journey. I've already started making many changes in the last year, but I'm continuing to learn more and figure out how to eat well, eat good and be happy with these decisions that I'm making. It's easy for me to fall off of that wagon as well, but it's something that has moral implications as well and thus carries a different kind of weight.

Tomorrow begins yet another one of these journeys - this will be my attempt to keep at it.

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard it is to get started, but, you can do it!
    Da

    ReplyDelete